Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

    Invelos Forums->General: General Discussion Page: 1 2 3  Previous   Next
Time to say goodbye...
Author Message
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorAiAustria
Profiling since 2004
Registered: May 19, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
Austria Posts: 5,614
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Time to say goodbye

Once upon a time I left this forum, because of the useless quarrelling promoted by Skip and some fellows who could never give in into anything.

This year I got mad about users around here three times. While the first two issues I got emotional about, were caused by users who simply did not know the rules and insisted on their right of being dumb, the last one really made me doubt, if this community is the place, where I should invest thousands of hours of work.

The answer is no. It does not seem to be worth working for a community, who does not deserve this name.

No one around here seems to be offended by a user, who does not only claim to be omniscient but also takes the right to correct aother man's common name thread, completely denying the will of the community and completely ignoring any etiquette. But I am, and I care about who I communicate with...

Bye.

ps.
If anyone is willing to carry on any of my projects, let me know by PM - surely I will be lurking around on a less regular basis, since quitting to work for the forum does not mean to quit collecting. All my work is based on Excel Sheets, therefore the one should be able to handle Excle tables. In detail there are
- List of common name threads (for what it's worth, when there are users defining different common names for one person)
- my common name finding posts
- my BY posts
- the work on headshots...
Complete list of Common Names  •  A good point for starting with Headshots (and v11.1)
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorninso4
Registered: January 16, 2010
Reputation: Highest Rating
Germany Posts: 1,513
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Sad to see you go. But a very big thank you for all the work you put into the forum & database over the past years. 
Think different

Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorscotthm
Registered: March 20, 2007
Reputation: Great Rating
United States Posts: 2,718
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Goodbye.

---------------
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorHotm@iler
Live life to the max!
Registered: May 30, 2007
Reputation: High Rating
Netherlands Posts: 243
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Indeed sad to see you go AiAustria.

You were the one who kept in contact with people who did contribute to the forum, for example, the common names and Accepted BY lists, just to keep them informed about the status and all that.
And mainly because of that, I became more active on the forum.

Therefore I would like to thank you for all you have done for this forum and its contributors, including yours truly.

And yes, I do also notice the tension between some people, and it is a shame that it has to go like this.

Nevertheless, once more a big thank you!
DVD Profiler for iOS since: January 9, 2011 (no longer using)
DVD Profiler for Android since: June 6, 2013
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile Registrantmediadogg
Aim high. Ride the wind.
Registered: March 18, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
United States Posts: 6,045
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageDirect link to this postReply with quote
Well actually I am offended. Because some one person got you upset, you cast aspersions to us all, gave no credit or props to anybody else in your goodbye announcement.

You were not the only person working hard in this community.

And if you truly believe that the rest of us, who have worked with you, and shared with you and collaborated with you, are not worth even a mention, as you take your ball and go home, then maybe what you are doing is best, if you have no respect for others in the community.

Oh, and to be clear, do not interpret my words to mean that I did not appreciate your efforts. I have several hundred hours of my own efforts dedicated to collaborations with you - I think that says it all right there.
Thanks for your support.
Free Plugins available here.
Advanced plugins available here.
Hey, new product!!! BDPFrog.
 Last edited: by mediadogg
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorRutan
Registered: March 14, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
Australia Posts: 1,808
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I am truly sorry to see you go. I too have made many contributions, I have done it for others to use, but also for my own satisfaction.

Best regards.

Kelvin
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorDarklyNoon
No Godz, No Masterz
Registered: May 8, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
Germany Posts: 1,940
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Thanks for all your hard work, maybe you will reconsider your decision over time.

I agree with mediadogg, you should at least let us now who that user is.
www.tvmaze.com
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile Registrantmediadogg
Aim high. Ride the wind.
Registered: March 18, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
United States Posts: 6,045
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting AiAustria:
Quote:
... It does not seem to be worth working for a community, who does not deserve this name.
...

I sent a PM to AiAustria, suggesting that he reconsider.

But I also requested that he apologize to the community for the statement I quoted. It is not fair, not correct, and he deserves no pity if he truly thinks that way. Sorry to be so harsh, but I see a whole bunch of people around here working hard, and trying to make a community. And I don't mean just myself. The infamous "Skip" was mentioned. I had a hard time with him too, but I always gave him props for his passion and true desire to get things "right," even though we didn't always agree. We PM'ed a lot, and argued a lot, but never lost personal respect. That's what we all need.
Thanks for your support.
Free Plugins available here.
Advanced plugins available here.
Hey, new product!!! BDPFrog.
 Last edited: by mediadogg
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributordee1959jay
Registered: March 19, 2007
Reputation: Superior Rating
Netherlands Posts: 6,001
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Really sorry to see you go.

Many thanks for all you have done!
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorDanae Cassandra
Mad Scientist at work!
Registered: May 26, 2007
Reputation: High Rating
United States Posts: 2,800
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting DarklyNoon:
Quote:
Thanks for all your hard work, maybe you will reconsider your decision over time.

I agree with mediadogg, you should at least let us now who that user is.


Just go look through the recent common name threads, its not hard to figure out.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile Registrantmediadogg
Aim high. Ride the wind.
Registered: March 18, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
United States Posts: 6,045
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageDirect link to this postReply with quote
Hang on, if we start attacking people, count me out of that conversation. I don't usually follow that forum except when I am looking for examples to test the plugin I wrote with AiAustria as a consultant.

If I wanted to say something there, I would have already said it. I don't plan to go there, just to target some other user.
Thanks for your support.
Free Plugins available here.
Advanced plugins available here.
Hey, new product!!! BDPFrog.
 Last edited: by mediadogg
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorAlunH
Registered: February 19, 2012
Reputation: High Rating
United Kingdom Posts: 94
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
This is unfortunate because you're both valued contributors.  I can see where you're both coming from, but I do think you might be taking this to heart more than was intended.

I can see the thread, and I can see your interactions with one another.  I really don't think the other poster was claiming omniscience, attacking you or in any way dismissive.

Maybe a break and then a return, rather than a complete departure?
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile Registrantmediadogg
Aim high. Ride the wind.
Registered: March 18, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
United States Posts: 6,045
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageDirect link to this postReply with quote
A wise suggestion indeed! 
Thanks for your support.
Free Plugins available here.
Advanced plugins available here.
Hey, new product!!! BDPFrog.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorDanae Cassandra
Mad Scientist at work!
Registered: May 26, 2007
Reputation: High Rating
United States Posts: 2,800
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
For my part, I'm not trying to attack anyone.  After reading this thread, I went over to the common name threads and read up on the issues going on over there.  I can see both sides of the argument, and I certainly understand the frustration of not being able to have any kind of official (i.e. Ken) ruling on the interpretation of the disputed rule in question.

Personally, I try stay out of the realm of common names because it's too much to keep up with anymore.  I've noticed a few recently that I don't know if they've been established or not, and I haven't gone forward with doing anything about them because it's a pain in the rear.

Since I'm convinced Ken will never be involved again, the only way I see us moving forward is to either all agree to run the contribution rules by consensus or we're going to continue to lose users over these sorts of frustrations.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile Registrantmediadogg
Aim high. Ride the wind.
Registered: March 18, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
United States Posts: 6,045
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Danae Cassandra:
Quote:
For my part, I'm not trying to attack anyone.  After reading this thread, I went over to the common name threads and read up on the issues going on over there.  I can see both sides of the argument, and I certainly understand the frustration of not being able to have any kind of official (i.e. Ken) ruling on the interpretation of the disputed rule in question.

Personally, I try stay out of the realm of common names because it's too much to keep up with anymore.  I've noticed a few recently that I don't know if they've been established or not, and I haven't gone forward with doing anything about them because it's a pain in the rear.

Since I'm convinced Ken will never be involved again, the only way I see us moving forward is to either all agree to run the contribution rules by consensus or we're going to continue to lose users over these sorts of frustrations.

Hey, cool idea! I am not qualified to participate, but I think it would be great if you could suggest some kind of process, and then get agreement by those members most active / affected / whatever, and I would be among those who would agree to abide by those rules for the future. Anybody who clams we are not a community need look no further than your post to be proved wrong!
Thanks for your support.
Free Plugins available here.
Advanced plugins available here.
Hey, new product!!! BDPFrog.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorAlunH
Registered: February 19, 2012
Reputation: High Rating
United Kingdom Posts: 94
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting mediadogg:
Quote:
Quoting Danae Cassandra:
Quote:
For my part, I'm not trying to attack anyone.  After reading this thread, I went over to the common name threads and read up on the issues going on over there.  I can see both sides of the argument, and I certainly understand the frustration of not being able to have any kind of official (i.e. Ken) ruling on the interpretation of the disputed rule in question.

Personally, I try stay out of the realm of common names because it's too much to keep up with anymore.  I've noticed a few recently that I don't know if they've been established or not, and I haven't gone forward with doing anything about them because it's a pain in the rear.

Since I'm convinced Ken will never be involved again, the only way I see us moving forward is to either all agree to run the contribution rules by consensus or we're going to continue to lose users over these sorts of frustrations.

Hey, cool idea! I am not qualified to participate, but I think it would be great if you could suggest some kind of process, and then get agreement by those members most active / affected / whatever, and I would be among those who would agree to abide by those rules for the future. Anybody who clams we are not a community need look no further than your post to be proved wrong!


Brilliant ideas from both of you.  We could set up some kind of members' group that we elect.  (senior members?) They then look at rules people have trouble with, come up with suggestions, put it to a vote among themselves and then offer us all a chance to vote on the three or four options they've come up with, then we vote for what we'd like the new rules to be.  Democratic, and will be all done through user involvement.
    Invelos Forums->General: General Discussion Page: 1 2 3  Previous   Next