Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1  Previous   Next
Film rating question
Author Message
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorThe Movieman
DVDP User Since 2007
Registered: March 18, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
United States Posts: 2,548
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
So I was wondering, if the rating on the back is Not Rated but going to filmratings.com (where they have a database of ratings, and is the site recommended by the MPA) has something different (in the case of Barbarella, PG), which do we go with? Just to note, the new 4K release does not have a different cut while the older Blu-ray does have the PG rating on the back.

In the past, like for the profile on The Art of War where it says PG-13 but the actual rating was R, we went with the latter. Would the same go here or do we go with Not Rated?
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorSidrat
Registered: March 13, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
Australia Posts: 2,567
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I would go with the Rating on the cover. The film may have got a new Rating for it's dvd/Bluray/4K release. I would only use the filmratings.com (or its equivalent) if the film has no Rating on the cover at all.

Cheers.
In the end; Winning is the only safety.
Kerr Avon
Blakes 7 Series 4, Ep. Blake.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorhydr0x
Registered: April 4, 2007
Germany Posts: 877
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
The Contribution Rules are very clear on this: "Use the Rating shown on the DVD cover". The only exception being listed are alternate cuts without rating which should be marked "Unrated" instead of "Not Rated" in certain countries. Under no circumstance do they allow the use of external rating information, not even for discs without a rating on the box. Sorry.
- Jan
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorObiKen
Registered: October 22, 2015
Reputation: Highest Rating
Australia Posts: 267
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting The Movieman:
Quote:
So I was wondering, if the rating on the back is Not Rated but going to filmratings.com (where they have a database of ratings, and is the site recommended by the MPA) has something different (in the case of Barbarella, PG), which do we go with? Just to note, the new 4K release does not have a different cut while the older Blu-ray does have the PG rating on the back.

In the past, like for the profile on The Art of War where it says PG-13 but the actual rating was R, we went with the latter. Would the same go here or do we go with Not Rated?

Barbarella was initially released in the USA on 10-Oct-1968, whilst the MPAA (now MPA) introduced the motion picture rating system on 01-Nov-1968. So, the film on initial release was unrated.

The CARA "PG" rating for Barbarella refers to the 1977 re-issue (https://www.filmratings.com/Search?filmTitle=barbarella). It was marketed as "Barbarella: Queen of the Galaxy".

The 4K disc release was based on a 4K scan of the original camera negatives, not the 1977 re-issue print.

As per CARA rules, a rating certified by CARA for a motion picture may not be used in connection with the exhibition (theatrical) or distribution (home media) of any different version of that motion picture."

As per Invelos rules, Not Rated with blank rating descriptor in the 4K profile. Hope that helps.
 Last edited: by ObiKen
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorrdodolak
Registered: March 18, 2007
Reputation: Superior Rating
United States Posts: 1,620
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
The rating on the cover. Remember there can be different cuts and it's possible the version used was not rated and different from the one that received the PG rating.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorThe Movieman
DVDP User Since 2007
Registered: March 18, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
United States Posts: 2,548
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting ObiKen:
Quote:
Quoting The Movieman:
Quote:
So I was wondering, if the rating on the back is Not Rated but going to filmratings.com (where they have a database of ratings, and is the site recommended by the MPA) has something different (in the case of Barbarella, PG), which do we go with? Just to note, the new 4K release does not have a different cut while the older Blu-ray does have the PG rating on the back.

In the past, like for the profile on The Art of War where it says PG-13 but the actual rating was R, we went with the latter. Would the same go here or do we go with Not Rated?

Barbarella was initially released in the USA on 10-Oct-1968, whilst the MPAA (now MPA) introduced the motion picture rating system on 01-Nov-1968. So, the film on initial release was unrated.

The CARA "PG" rating for Barbarella refers to the 1977 re-issue (https://www.filmratings.com/Search?filmTitle=barbarella). It was marketed as "Barbarella: Queen of the Galaxy".

The 4K disc release was based on a 4K scan of the original camera negatives, not the 1977 re-issue print.

As per CARA rules, a rating certified by CARA for a motion picture may not be used in connection with the exhibition (theatrical) or distribution (home media) of any different version of that motion picture."

As per Invelos rules, Not Rated with blank rating descriptor in the 4K profile. Hope that helps.


Thanks for the explanation 
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorbigdaddyhorse
Registered: June 21, 2007
Reputation: Great Rating
United States Posts: 2,621
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
So, which cut is the Barbarella BD?
It carries that PG rating on back, but everything I see says it is the original "unrated" version.
Has the actual PG version been on home video?
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorObiKen
Registered: October 22, 2015
Reputation: Highest Rating
Australia Posts: 267
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting bigdaddyhorse:
Quote:
So, which cut is the Barbarella BD?
It carries that PG rating on back, but everything I see says it is the original "unrated" version.
Has the actual PG version been on home video?

I can only conclude that the PG rating was for the 98 minute film found on the Blu-ray disc, as CARA rules prohibit the distributor from using the PG rating for different versions of the film.

Please remember the film was never rated on its initial theatrical release in the US, so any re-release of the film in the US by a member of the MPA (that is, Paramount) needed to be submitted for a rating. There was no evidence that the film was cut in 1977 in order to get a PG rating from CARA.

Here is an example of a film (The Owl and the Pussycat) that was re-edited in order to get a PG rating:
https://www.filmratings.com/Search?filmTitle=owl+and+the+pussycat&x=0&y=0

On the other hand, Barbarella's PG rating was based on it being a re-issue (not a re-edit):
https://www.filmratings.com/Search?filmTitle=barbarella

The subsequent home media releases in the USA from 1979 to 2012 for Barbarella: Queen of the Galaxy had the same rating (PG) and runtime (98 mins):

1979 Betamax
1980 VHS
1981 Laser disc (Pan & Scan)
1993 Laser disc (Widescreen)
1999 DVD
2012 Blu-ray

Hope that clarified the matter.
 Last edited: by ObiKen
    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1  Previous   Next