Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1  Previous   Next
"The Thing" 3-Movie Collection
Author Message
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantproverbs311031
Registered: May 30, 2007
Posts: 55
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
What would be the official way of adding this new DVD "set" to the master database? Be specific! I'm more intrigued by the "titling" for sure!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C32W4XHW

UPC: 191329246139 which has (3) separate discs with a singular movie per DVD.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorrdodolak
Registered: March 18, 2007
Reputation: Superior Rating
United States Posts: 1,596
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Parent profile with a title of "The Thing" with an edition of "3-Movie Collection". Then child profiles for each of the films.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorAddicted2DVD
Registered: March 13, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
United States Posts: 17,304
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I disagree on the way that the cover is per rules it should be...

Title: The Thing / The Thing from Another World / The Thing
Edition: 3-Movie Collection

Then child profiles for each individual title.
Pete
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorrdodolak
Registered: March 18, 2007
Reputation: Superior Rating
United States Posts: 1,596
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I think the spine helps to clarify the intended title and the child profiles will have the actual titles for each film.
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorGreyHulk
Fixin' it for everyone..
Registered: November 24, 2008
Reputation: Highest Rating
United Kingdom Posts: 1,216
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Spine wins. "The Thing: 3 Movie Collection" in the Title field.
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributormreeder50
I was outta bullets
Registered: March 29, 2007
Reputation: Superior Rating
United States Posts: 2,710
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I agree with Pete, but either way would work.
Marty - Registered July 10, 2004, User since 2002.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorzappman
Registered: September 6, 2008
Reputation: High Rating
Posts: 118
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
This is a hard one to decide!

Quoting GreyHulk:
Quote:
Spine wins. "The Thing: 3 Movie Collection" in the Title field.


You are almost correct.
I agree the title could be taken from the spine.
However, the title would be "The Thing 3-Movie Collection"
See the example on http:/www.invelos.com/dvdpro/contributions/Rules.aspx?display=boxsets

The example on that page is "Alien Quadrilogy" not "Alien: Quadrilogy"

However, the page says "The title for a Box Set should be the title listed on the front cover, for example Alien Quadrilogy".

Therefore: I believe Addicted2DVD is almost correct.
Quoting Addicted2DVD:
Quote:
I disagree on the way that the cover is per rules it should be...

Title: The Thing / The Thing from Another World / The Thing
Edition: 3-Movie Collection

Then child profiles for each individual title.


But, I don't think "3-Movie Collection" is an edition.

And to me it is very confusing that "The Thing" is listed twice in this suggested title "The Thing / The Thing from Another World / The Thing".

Personally, I think in this case we should go with what the spine says "The Thing 3-Movie Collection" in the Title field.

In my local collection I would enter it as "The Thing 3-Movie Collection: The Thing (1985) / The Thing from Another World / The Thing (2011)" all in the Title Field and lock my profile.
 Last edited: by zappman
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantproverbs311031
Registered: May 30, 2007
Posts: 55
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
   

   

Thanks everyone! I have never thought of "spine wins" and I do semi-agree that "3-Movie Collection" is an NOT an edition for the most part when thought/looked at of this way.

Love, love, love the "The Thing 3-Movie Collection: The Thing (1985) / The Thing from Another World / The Thing (2011)" date suggestion too!

This is why I love this community!   
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorAddicted2DVD
Registered: March 13, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
United States Posts: 17,304
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Wondering where spine wins thing comes from... rules states the title comes from the front cover it is the front cover that wins per the rules.
Pete
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorNosferatu
Registered: March 24, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
United Kingdom Posts: 1,204
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
The rules are very clear: "Use the title from the front cover."

Even with editions, they say "Edition is generally displayed on the front, but may also be gathered from the back cover if present." There is no mention of the spine being used for editions. Even so, an edition would be unnecessary because there is no need to distinguish this from other releases of the same name, nor to indicate that this is a special release of this title.

Going by the rules, I think the official title should be "The Thing / The Thing from Another World / The Thing" without an edition, but I would have the locked title as "The Thing 3-Movie Collection" in my local database.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorDanae Cassandra
Registered: Apr 11, 2004
Registered: May 26, 2007
Reputation: Great Rating
United States Posts: 2,877
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Nosferatu:
Quote:
Going by the rules, I think the official title should be "The Thing / The Thing from Another World / The Thing" without an edition, but I would have the locked title as "The Thing 3-Movie Collection" in my local database.


I agree with this.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorObiKen
Registered: October 22, 2015
Reputation: Superior Rating
Australia Posts: 253
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Nosferatu:
Quote:
... Even so, an edition would be unnecessary because there is no need to distinguish this from other releases of the same name, nor to indicate that this is a special release of this title.


Doesn't the rules for edition also specify collections?, namely:

"The Edition field is for distinguishing between DVDs, and for indicating special versions and collections (for example The Criterion Collection, Widescreen, Full-Screen Edition, Director's Cut)."

My understanding is "3-Movie Collection" complies with the edition rule and it is no different to other valid editions such as "Double Feature" or "Triple Feature" and it also tells us there are three DIFFERENT movies in the box set, which adds significant value to the cover titles, particularly when two titles are exactly the same.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorNosferatu
Registered: March 24, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
United Kingdom Posts: 1,204
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting ObiKen:
Quote:
Quoting Nosferatu:
Quote:
... Even so, an edition would be unnecessary because there is no need to distinguish this from other releases of the same name, nor to indicate that this is a special release of this title.


Doesn't the rules for edition also specify collections?, namely:

"The Edition field is for distinguishing between DVDs, and for indicating special versions and collections (for example The Criterion Collection, Widescreen, Full-Screen Edition, Director's Cut)."

My understanding is "3-Movie Collection" complies with the edition rule and it is no different to other valid editions such as "Double Feature" or "Triple Feature" and it also tells us there are three DIFFERENT movies in the box set, which adds significant value to the cover titles, particularly when two titles are exactly the same.

I wouldn't argue against its inclusion, but it does seem to be superfluous because the title includes three different films, so the 3-Movie Collection aspect is self-explanatory.

That said, the wording does feature very prominently on the cover and there is at least one precedent for including that edition in my collection: The Blues Brothers / National Lampoon's Animal House / Stripes: 3 Film Box Set (EAN 5050582792867).
    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1  Previous   Next